Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Time to Hear a Heart

I missed school today. I NEVER miss school. I think this is the 4th time in 10 years.

On Friday, a loved one lost her battle with cancer and was called home. Although it is a blessing she is no longer suffering, our hearts ache that she is no longer with us.

I have always tried to put on a brave face no matter what I am going through. I hold back tears when I often need to let them fall.

But today the flood gates opened...I think I have been crying since I woke up at 4:30 this morning.

I think we often get so busy that we stop to really listen to each other. We ask each other How are you today? as we pass by because we usually expect to hear the answer I'm fine or Good.

I feel so rushed during the day to try and get it ALL IN. We shuffle our kiddos in and out of reading groups, math groups, and intervention groups. We meet with them to do running records, assessments, and conferences.

We are quick to intervene with discipline problems without really taking the time to figure out the why behind what happened.

Our lives don't slow down when we leave school.

There are errands to run, kiddos to take from one practice to the next, dinner to prepare, homework to get done, baths, laundry, taking a few minutes to talk to that man that might still be your husband, planning and doing all of the things that you didn't get to finish at school, and maybe finding some time to sleep.

I think all of these things that keep us so busy and consumed are just background noise that often muffle the words of our hearts and the hearts of others.

I have faith in knowing that God brought every person into my life for a reason. I want to take the time to let others know that I am blessed because of that. My heart decides whether to see others as a blessing or a burden.



Am I taking the time to let the ones I love know how much I love them?

Am I taking the time to really listen to others and their hearts???


Everyone who crosses your path tomorrow will be carrying burdens. Some burdens are carried where others can see them. These are burdens we can pray for, talk about, help with, carry as our own, and just be aware of. Many burdens though are carried in the heart. Sometimes the heart has not even found the words to carry with these burdens. They are there and if we take the time to stop and listen our heart can hear.


Will you take the time tomorrow to listen to a heart???

From My Heart to Yours,

26 heart notes:

Jessica said...

I can totally relate to this post and comes at the perfect time for me. I just had someone especially special to me being diagnosed with cancer in the last week. It has been a shocker, but has reinforced to me who I want in my life and why they are there. I feel for you and pray for the strength to get you through. We all carry burdens and stories and histories but as long as we know we have all gone through something that has changed us and made it stronger it makes us form better relationships. So sorry for your loss!
Jessica

Apples and Papers

BAK Pack Photography said...

Heather,
i am so sorry for your loss. I am sending you good thoughts and prayers. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
❀Beth Ann❀
Taming My Flock of Firsties
tamingmyflockoffirsties@gmail.com

My First Love said...

What beautiful words. I am so sorry for your loss. It is so important that tomorrow is not a promise for any of us. As part of our de-stressing campaign at school, I am making an effort to take a minute each day and think about what is going well in my life. With so many responsibilities, it is easy to take the good things in our life for granted. {{hugs}}
~Danielle
My First Love

beebeetwins said...

So sorry for your loss. Our art teacher came in one day and said her heart sings when she wakes up every morning. I often don't take the time to hear my own heart sing but I should... In the midst of your painful loss I hope your heart finds its singing voice.

Jazzmin said...

What a beautifully written post.
I am truly sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one!

May the Lord bless and comfort you
<3

Dr. Jill E. Steeley said...

Heather,

Having lost my mom a few months back, I can certainly feel you pain at losing your loved one. May you rest in God's peace.

((( ))) & _( )_

Jill

Kristin said...

Oh, Heather, I'm so sorry.
May you feel God's comfort during this difficult time.
Big hugs to you!

Sara said...

Sending love, prayers, and hugs your way. Thank you for being an ispspiration.

Anne Tussing said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you! I really appreciated your love quote. I pinned it!

Julie DiBenedetto said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for sharing your inspiration with us. I pinned them to keep the messages going!
Julie

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you! We have a fellow teacher that lost her dad just this week. As a staff we have come together to see her through. Your quotes are always beautiful, timely, and it seems just what I need. My faith in God is what gets me through my tough times and to reach out to others in theirs. Thanks for helping me remember.

Terri Izatt
KinderKapers

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful post and a good reminder for all of us. I'm so sorry for your loss. My Mom was diagnosed with cancer on Valentine's Day. It rocks you to the core and reminds you to live each day to the fullest.

Stacy
Live Love Laugh and Teach!

Amanda G. said...

Your thoughts have been on my mind lately. Am I just going through all of the motions and not paying attention to the people around me? Thanks for sharing and I am so sorry for your loss. Losing someone is so hard. Praying for you!

Unknown said...

I am incredibly sorry for your loss. I know that there are no words that can comfort the pain. I can totally relate to your post. It is so important to see past the business of the daily grind to what is MOST IMPORTANT the lives and hearts of others. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

I just lost my grandma the other week, so I know how you feel. ((hugs)) I'm so sorry for your loss!

Unknown said...

Thanks for this heartfelt reminder. I will definitely be thinking about your post at work tomorrow. I get so caught up in the day, I don't know time flies by so quick! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

~Heidi V.

LoveN3rdgrade said...

My heart goes out to the family! It is always such a hard thing to lose someone no matter what the cause. :(

Mrs. Landry said...

Sending prayers to you and the family! And thanks for the inspirational words. You have a very kind heart. Hang in there!
Shibahn

Unknown said...

Heather, love your post. Thank you for reminding us to be more caring. We are your newest followers.
Kathy and Susan

Cheryl R. said...

Heather,
I am so sorry for the loss of your loved one. It is so hard to live and learn from something that is so personally painful. Yet, you are doing just that with you beautiful heartfelt words. You have touched me deeply as I am sure you will do the same for others. Please know that you are being lifted up and surrounded by the love and prayers of many people who admire your ability to share the pure essence of your heart and soul. May you feel that love and find comfort in the days ahead.

Wishing you well,
Cheryl

Anne Gardner said...

Heather, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. You've shared an important message with all of us. I'll keep it in mind as I work with my kids. God bless, Anne
Common Core Connection

Roxanne said...

Hi Heather,
Please accept my deepest sympathy. May GOD continue to uphold and carry you through at this time.

Take care and be blessed.

Love
Roxanne

The Teacher's Desk 6 said...

What a beautiful, heart-warming post! My condolences on your loss. God bless you in your time of grief. Thank you for sharing <3

Angela
The Teacher's Desk 6